After spending a year trying to recover from all the stuff – you know the stuff because you probably lived it too; it doesn’t matter – I have crawled back into my blog in an effort to begin writing again. You know; putting the letters on paper and pushing them out. Filling up the blank page and not worrying about the consequences. You get the idea.
One of the things that has me frustrated is how to get readers to dive into my books, short stories, and flash fiction. I suppose this was the start of building a platform. And Lord knows it would be nice to see a few people reading what I have to write.
I know how to get the word out; I was a public relations professional. Except, I don’t seem to know how to get the word out about my books. A conundrum. Anyway, I have found some advice that seems to fit with a few others have already offered. If you’re reading this, point out any flaws.
A Whole Lot of Ideas on Book Promotion
- Write an interesting summary: A clear, short, and interesting description of your book can make people want to buy it.
- Use keywords: To rank higher in Amazon’s search results, make sure your book’s title and description are keyword-optimized.
- Make a platform for authors: Connect with readers and promote your book through social media, your website, and an email list.
- Offer discounts and special deals. Running a sale or a contest can get people interested and boost sales.
- Ask readers to leave reviews on Amazon. This will help your book get more attention and be taken more seriously.
- Join forces with other writers: Help each other get the word out about their books and do joint book launches or ads.
- Invest in cover design and editing. A book with a professional cover design and no mistakes is more likely to sell.
- Reach out to your audience: Engage with your readers, respond to reviews, and join online book groups to get more people interested in your work.
All of these are good ideas for making sure your book meets the basics for success on Amazon. And a few I need to utilize, such as reaching out to the audience and joining forces with other writers. There are a few more ideas too.
Why Do Authors Fail to Find Success on Amazon?
- Lack of exposure: Amazon has so many books that it’s easy for one to get lost in the crowd.
- No platform for authors: Without a strong online presence, it’s hard to reach potential readers and get them interested.
- Poor book description: If a book description is boring or hard to understand, readers may not click the “buy” button.
- Amazon uses reviews to figure out how trustworthy a book is, so a book with few or bad reviews is less likely to sell.
- Bad cover design: If you want to make a good first impression on potential buyers, you need a professional cover design.
- Ignoring your target audience: If you don’t know and connect with your target audience, your book may not sell well.
- Lack of a marketing plan: Without a clear plan for promoting the book, it’s unlikely to reach a large audience.
- Not using social media: Social media is a great way to promote a book, and not using it can mean missed opportunities.
Another nice list of ideas, especially the one about a marketing plan and marketing to your target audience. But what about taking this website and powering it to sell more books on Amazon? The following ideas fit the bill.
Building an Author Platform
- Figuring out who you want to read your work is essential. Learn who will enjoy reading your books and write specifically for them.
- Build your author’s reputation: Create a brand identity and messaging that is consistent with your offline activities as well as your online ones.
- Make use of social media by selecting the networks that your intended audience frequents and posting frequently to maintain a dialogue with them.
- Establish a mailing list: Get your readers’ email addresses through your website, social media, and book signings.
- Join writing groups, go to events, and promote your book with other authors to expand your network and raise awareness.
- Provide access to something that isn’t widely available: Send your email list subscribers exclusive information, previews of upcoming projects, and discounts.
- Create occasions for people to meet you and your books, whether they be in-person gatherings like book signings or virtual ones like webinars.
- Review your book’s Amazon and Goodreads ratings and ask your readers to post comments about the book to boost its popularity and reputation.
Using these ideas, you and I can succeed at selling books on Amazon if we’re willing to put in the time, effort, and focus necessary, as well as if we’re open to learning from our mistakes. Keep in mind that just authoring a book is a major feat, and that you’re showing great bravery and dedication by promoting it. There’s a reader out there who would love to hear your distinctive perspective and read your compelling story. Please keep trying! Do not stop trying new things, expanding your knowledge, or making progress toward your objectives. You’ll have greater luck the more effort you put in. Have faith in your skills and abilities, and keep your sights set towards the stars. You can do it!
© 2023, Michael Shawn Sommermeyer. All rights reserved.