Want a PDF to save this story to read later? Enter your e-mail address and I'll send you a PDF right away.Enter your Email Address
A short list of ways to find story ideas:
- Be observant. Look around and wonder about the things you see. Think about why something is happening and what could happen.
- Read. Find a book out of your usual comfort zone. Dig in and see what kinds of ideas come to mind. Consider how something might work in your story.
- Listen. Be a people watcher and people listener. Eavesdrop on conversations. Think about how a conversation might fit in a story.
- Current Events. Follow the news and find something that might make a story. Go beyond national headlines and look for unusual stories.
- Use Prompts. Find a daily prompt to spark a story. Think about a word or a picture and make something out of it.
- Just Type. Go nuts. Type anything that comes to mind. Let you subconscious talk to you. Some of it will spark an idea; much of it will go into the trash.
© 2018, Michael Shawn Sommermeyer. All rights reserved.